Friday, May 15, 2009

Girly Superhero Cape

A close friend's daughter turned 2 this past weekend.  Of course I wanted to make her something fun.  She loves her big brother's cape so I decided to make her a girly one of her own.  Smiley  I used the tute at Puking Pastilles:  It's super easy to follow and I highly recommend it.  

Close up and the backing fabric:

  I think she'll like it...  

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Poppiful Wrap Skirt

 I have been dying to get my hands on a copy of Heather Ross' Weekend Sewing.  I had it on hold at the library for months.  It finally came in the the Sat before Mother's Day and I raced to the library to pick it up.  I really wanted to make the wrap skirt pattern.  I had seen a few versions of it on Flickr and thought it would be perfect for some poppy fabric (sale $3/yd!!) I had been hoarding for the perfect dress or skirt pattern.  So I traced the pattern, ironed and cut out my fabric, sewed and about 6 hours later (with interruptions) I had this skirt.  I stayed up till 3am to finish it and wear it the next day to church.  So worth it.

  If you decide to make this, check her website for corrections.  I am a size 10, used 5 panels and 3 yds of fabric.  (The original pattern has a sz L using only 3 panels.  That would have barely wrapped around me...)  I had to cut the waistband not on the bias because I didn't have enough fabric to do so.  I think the next one I make I might put a large button hole in the waist so that I can thread one of the ties through when wrapping.  I was unsure of the proper wrapping technique so a buttonhole would make that easier.  Plus that would help the waist lie flatter, not so much fabric bunched up.  
Close up of the waist:

Closer pic of the skirt:

I am in love with this book and I might use the Amazon gift certificate I received for my birthday to actually buy a copy.  Which is saying a lot for me.  I very rarely buy myself books.
Thanks for looking!

Read more:;u=105883;sa=showTopics#ixzz2TOwC1tRL

Monday, May 4, 2009

Patchwork Bucket

I really needed a larger basket for the kitchen to replace the small one that was holding my son's sippy cups.  It was overflowing to the point of things falling out.  I couldn't find anything I liked at a price point I could afford. 
   So I dug into my stash and busted out this tute:

     I didn't follow the tute exactly.  Originally I made the 12 inch one but it was a lot bigger than I had anticipated.  So I ripped out out the seams and cut it down to the 8 inch size.  (sort of.  I mis-measured my top part and had to fudge it a bit lot.)   I made up my own handles to fit the amount of fabric I had on hand.  I also left out the bag part because I didn't really need it.  Since I wanted to use up stash &  I didn't have any pellon 70,  I used the lightweight interfacing I had on hand and some leftover quilt batting to help it stand up.  I free motion quilted the bottom and stitched in the ditch on the top.  My binding was leftover from another baby quilt so it's two different fabrics.  All in all I love how it turned out.  Smiley



all full up!: